China Oncology Peer Review Policies
Peer Review Process provides a brief general overview of the peer review process at China Oncology. The specific peer review process and submission turnaround time may vary slightly depending on the journal due to the constitution of an editorial team.
All submitted manuscripts are reviewed initially by an editor of the specific journal. Manuscripts are evaluated according to the following criteria:
● The material is original and timely;
● The manuscript is written clearly in accordance to the author instruction;
● Appropriate study methods have been used;
● The data are valid;
● The conclusions are reasonable and well supported by the data;
● The information contained in the manuscript is important, topical, and medically relevant.
From these basic criteria, the editors assess a paper’s eligibility for publication. Other manuscripts are sent to expert consultants for peer review.
China Oncology use single-blind peer review, which means the identity of the peer reviewer is kept confidential, but the author’s identity is made known to the reviewer.
For every manuscript for review, we will ensure to have at least two reviewers and sometimes more opinions are sought. Peer reviewers are selected based on their expertise and ability to provide high quality, constructive, and fair reviews. For research manuscripts, editors may, in addition, seek the opinion of a statistical reviewer.
The existence of a manuscript under review is not revealed to anyone other than the peer reviewers and editorial staff. Peer reviewers are required to maintain confidentiality about the manuscripts they review and must not divulge any information about a specific manuscript or its content to any third party without prior permission from the journal editors. Information from submitted manuscripts may be systematically collected and analyzed to help improve the quality of the editorial or peer-review processes. Identifying information remains confidential. Final decisions regarding the publication of manuscripts are made within the Editorial Team.
Online review system
Aiming for the convenience and efficiency of the peer review process, our peer review is conducted and trackable electronically via online review system: https://www.china-oncology.com/.
Peer review flowchart
1. Science Editors pass the submitted manuscript to the Editor(s)-in-Chief.
2. Depending on the topic of the submitted manuscript, the Editor(s)-in-Chief passes the article to the Associate Editor(s)-in-Chief/Associate Editor(s) or an Editorial Board Member with related expertise.
3. The assigned editorial members with related expertise review the manuscript or recommend external reviewers to the editorial office. The recommendation of external reviewers may be carried out via a literature search to identify appropriate external experts.
4. External experts review the manuscript.
5. External experts make recommendations.
6. External experts’ recommendations are sent to the Editor(s)-in-Chief, along with a review from the assigned Associate Editor and Member of the Editorial Board.
7. The Editor(s)-in-Chief and the Editorial Board Meeting make a decision on the manuscript, for which there are four options: accept, minor revision, major revision, or reject.
Submission Turnaround Time
● In-house review: 1-3 weeks
● External peer review: 2-3 months
● Revision time: 2-4 weeks
● Formal publication: within 1-3 months after being accepted. Original Articles are listed as priority.
The Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China
Fudan University Shanghai Cancer Center
Editorial Board of China Oncology
TANG Zhaoyou, CAO Shilong, SHEN Zhenzhou
Shanghai Ouyang Printing Co., Ltd.